Thursday, May 06, 2010

Scout Snow Camping Trip

I went on a camping trip with the boy scouts in our ward. It was at Barton Flats on the way to Big Bear. The great thing about living in LA is you get to spend a lot more time in the car than the average human. It took us four hours to get there when it should have been more like two. But we left at exactly the wrong time: Friday 4pm.

I didn't have any snow shoes or boots so I just wore my sneaks with three pairs of socks. My feet froze. I helped the boys make the fire and it was killing me to watch them. I wanted so bad to do it for them because they were taking so long. I realized that building a fire is not something you are born with but a skill you must learn. I've made many fires in my youth as a boy scout and I guess I took it for granted. So I forced myself to let them do it. They needed the experience not me. We found that eucalyptus wood makes the worst fire wood. It doesn't burn easily, stinks, and puts off a lot of smoke. FYI. I did sleep pretty good with the help of a drug called Sleep Aid and a -5 degree mummy bag.
The next day we had a killer snowball fight and dug a snow cave. You can play the game "Where's Jarom?" with these four pictures.




1 comment:

  1. Fun times. That's three (four with Ted) of us in (was in) Scouts. I can't wait until Pat gets put in scouts.

    ReplyDelete